Monday, February 14, 2011

My Handy Valentine

Remember this?


The craft room. The old, disheveled "craft room" where crafts were never made because you could barely walk through it?

Well.

Now...instead...there's this!




Bless my husband for putting up wire shelves to house my abundant selection of "permanent" flowers. Luckily, this shelf also allows for hangings things from it, so now all my wreaths (some purchased, some made) have a nice home, too. My friend Jen helped me organize all of this (by color, season, holiday) even though she might have rolled her eyes a few times. ;) It also holds my selection of raffia (far left end) because I use it for everything! Wreaths, bows for presents, tying a tag on something. Get thee some raffia.




And we've found that keeping the Christmas tree up (and away) is the easiest way to start things when decorating time comes again the next year. So, there it will sit, all year...in the craft room. It makes me happy. Again, my friend Jen poked fun at me for making sure the ribbons were spaced evenly. Hey, it'd drive me crazy All Year Long if it looked wonky. (Are you starting to see why it takes me so long to do something?)


(Yes, I still have some Christmas presents I haven't given out. 
What of it?)

Next, there's this lovely window with lovely natural light pouring in. I might get a little worktable to set in front of it when I can establish that said lovely natural light will not pour straight into my eyes when I sit there. We'll see...

This is maybe the most unconventional and exciting part of the craft room remodel. Thanks to Jeremy's fantastic idea, my gift bag station resembles my favorite store...Hobby Lobby! ;)





I have a plastic tote underneath with all the bows and whistles. Handy, handy, is it not??




Here's the closet. SO MUCH BETTER. I love it. All the Christmas decorations, autumnal decorations, Easter decorations, etc. - they're all sorted and in their proper place.




And this side of the closet will hold my enormous assortment of after-Christmas-sales of shatterproof ornaments to make more of these wreaths for next year...(I laughed when I saw it, in spite of myself...what's that line from?)




And that side of the closet also holds plastic containers of stamping paraphenalia, card-making and scrapbooking stuff (though I don't technically scrapbook - but I have good intentions), painting supplies, and various crafting odds and ends. And the top shelf (not seen) holds lots of styrofoam for making flower arrangements. All pretty stinkin' easy to get to!

Several years back I bought this old red cabinet from my friend Amanda when they were moving. It holds floral design stuff - and fabric scissors (Jeremy doesn't understand the concept of fabric scissors, but I'm trying to teach him! ;) - and glue guns, plural. Because one is never enough. Or something. And now that the room is organized I can actually use the workspace on top to Make Things. Isn't that just crazy?? Sigh.




I'm very blessed that my husband knows how to build things and make things and organize things. And since we've recently discovered our love languages, I know that his "acts of service" in helping me with this big project means, in fact, that he looooves me! So when I look at my craft room and think about his help, I can always remember that. =)

Happy Valentine's Day to my sweet, handy, and extremely funny Valentine! I love you so, so much!!

Happy Heart Day to all of you, too! Thanks for coming here and reading and commenting. I enjoy our visits quite a lot. =)

P.S. There's one more thing (again, a great Jeremy idea) that will make this craft room complete. Care to venture any guesses?

20 comments:

  1. Girl...that is a HUGE difference! It's looks awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sandy! I am so excited to use it! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you come and help me with mine? I can atleast walk in mine now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sure - sounds like you have a good start, Becky! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to giggle at the fabric scissors comment! I'm constantly grabbing scissors out of Aaron's hand and saying, NOT FOR PAPER!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So amazing! What a transformation! I've been trying to guess Jeremy's idea to improve the room....it must be a work table. Something for wrapping presents and for crafting. But, maybe it is another serious of shelving for organizing yet another type of craft. Ahhh, my brain hurts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jenny - I keep my fabric scissors in a special, out-of-the-way drawer...but I have to make sure to return them there after using. If I leave them out, no telling what may beset them! Ha! I just bought a brand-new PINK pair...hoping that'll help. =)

    Dana - you are warm...it is something for wrapping presents...=)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it! So cute! I'm not creative enough to venture a guess though. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok I L.O.V.E. those christmas ornament wreaths!!!! I hadn't seen that post before and it makes me SUPER excited for next Christmas...you know come to think of it we are celebrating Christmas with our families in about 2 weeks when we get back from malaysia...I might just have to make one to put on my front door :). Gary doesn't want me to the tree up, but I told him we have a pre-lit one that won't take long.
    I love the 5 love languages too and it is very neat when you find out what your spouse's language is.
    Hmmmm a wrapping station? Maybe a table that has the wrapping paper and ribbins placed on the side so all you have to do is roll it out and cut??? Can't wait to hear/see what his idea is!! The room looks great by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kimberly - one of those wreaths would be perfect for your late Christmas! Oh, wait - if you can find the ornaments and tinsel to make it with...hmmm...? If you want to swing by Henderson, I know someone with a closet full of them...;)

    And you are so, so close with your guess...you almost have it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. hmmm? How bout a table with a spinning area so short little Kristen can spin the gifts while she wraps them?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dana - that might not be a half bad idea! Interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so glad you have your craft room organized now! It will be so easy to prepare for Christmas through the year, and spending time in there will be a gift in itself.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Holy moly! That is one before and after example! Seriously, that is a room fit for a craft pro! I know Jeremy's help meant a lot to you. (Especially knowing his love language!) I'm glad you guys got to enjoy it together. Now, go put that room to use! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Melissa - yes, things will definitely be easier to find and manage now! It's wonderful. =)

    Mindy - thanks! I have already made a Valentine's wreath and some Valentine cards in there. I'm scheming about my next project...;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, yay! I know you are so glad to have that project done and everything so organized. It looks great! And what a sweet hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Saw your comment over at Kevin and Amanda's. Had to stop by after I saw that we had both recently taken trips to Savannah and Charleston! I just fell in love with Charleston. It has always been a favorite city of my hubby's, but now I'm on bored too! I would live there! I'm going to fish around your blog to see what else we have in common! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great makeover! I am working on my craftroom too - last fall I posted a start to my makeover! Isn't pegboard the greatest for organizing?! I'm your newest follower - can't wait to read more of your blog - hope you will visit mine and follow me back! : )
    Aimee @
    justkiddingaroundatlanta.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have a really nice craft room! I just found your blog through Thrifty Decor Chick's party. I am now your newest follower. Come check me out if you get a chance.

    Noplacelikehomeally.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks, ladies! I appreciate your taking the time to visit. =)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile! Don't worry if you don't have a Google account - you can comment anonymously, but just leave your name, too. Let me know you were here, even if this is an "old" post. =)