Thursday, December 23, 2010

Poppyseed Bread


Moist poppyseed bread, along with a side of sausage balls, will always remind me of Christmas morning breakfast. For years my mother has made this recipe given to us by our friend Rosemary and we think it is exceptional. If you need a Christmas breakfast idea that you can prepare ahead of time - or a last-minute gift for some friends, this is the way to go!

This time I didn't have quite enough poppyseeds, but since they don't provide a taste of their own, really, it all turned just fine. =)




Poppyseed Bread
Printer-friendly version
3 eggs
2 ½ c. sugar
1 ½ c. milk (I did half skim milk; half heavy cream)
1 ¼ c. canola oil
1 Tbsp. poppyseeds
1 ½ tsp. baking powder
1 ½ tsp. salt
1 ½ tsp. vanilla (or vanilla bean paste)
1 ½ tsp. almond flavoring
3 c. all-purpose flour

Glaze:
¾ c. sugar
¼ c. orange juice
½ tsp. vanilla (or vanilla bean paste)
½ tsp. almond flavoring
2 Tbsp. butter

Cream eggs and sugar. Add milk and remaining ingredients for bread. The batter will be somewhat thin. Grease and flour loaf pans. Bake at 325 degrees for about 1 hour 10 minutes for 2 large loaves; 50 minutes for 4 medium loaves; or 35 minutes for 6 small loaves. Watch closely, though – don’t let the outside edges get too brown. Administer the toothpick test to check doneness. Better to err on the side of "almost done."

Glaze:

Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Make LOTS of holes with toothpick while bread is still warm. You want to give the glaze plenty of places to seep in. Pour warm glaze over warm bread. Cool completely before storing.



P.S. Before I go, I have a few more songs to make your Christmas merry! I just love Mindy Smith's Christmas album, but these are probably my three favorites. I'm pretty sure that all three are original to her - and I'm crossing my fingers that she releases another Christmas album sometime. She's just GOOD at it.



6 comments:

  1. Some of your blogs make me so hungry. This would be one of them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Christmas tradition! This bread looks great. My friend, Emily, makes a lemon poppyseed bread that is incredible, and it was part of her gift to us! Yum!

    Oh, and Brad was so excited that you had some Mindy Smith music on here. Apparently he really likes her. I totally enjoyed those songs. Guess I know what Christmas CD I want!

    MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This poppy seed bread looks fantastic! I have a whole bunch of poppy seeds left over from some lemon poppy seed muffins I made a few months ago. I think I need to pull them out and make this delicious bread. I love the orange glaze! Hope you had a happy new years! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christina - you totally need to make this bread! Don't poppyseeds go, um, rancid or something if you keep them too long? ;) Yeah. This poppyseed bread is a sister version of lemon poppyseed muffins. Related but still plenty different! Mmmm...now I want some lemon poppyseed muffins...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a winner to me! I love poppyseeds and this bread would be wonderful! Baking some next week and I think I'll add this to my list of ones that I want to make.


    I'd love it if you came over for a visit to see mine. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile! Don't worry if you don't have a Google account - you can comment anonymously, but just leave your name, too. Let me know you were here, even if this is an "old" post. =)