Last night Jeremy and I were discussing what to rent from the local Movie World. (You know, the place that also has tanning beds and various tanning lotions/oils. And purses. That's what kind of world this is, not just "Movie World.") They have TONS of seasons of TV shows lined up on their shelves, as far as the eye can see. I kinda wanted to rewatch the beginning of Alias...I watched it years back and the beginning was awesome, the middle just O.K. - and the end was horrendous. I fell asleep in every episode toward the end. But I was nostalgic for it and I was in the mood for something spy-like. Jeremy wasn't too keen on the idea, though, so he suggested two other, um, suggestions: 24 or Heroes. I mulled it over and nodded cautiously. We'd heard great things about both shows. But we'd most likely get addicted. We were walking into it with our eyes open.
We chose 24. (Did I really have to write that sentence? The title was a spoiler...sorry.) We watched the first three episodes.
Here are our first thoughts:
1. The first episode didn't grab us immediately. What immediately grabbed me was, "Hey, is that really the Allstate guy?? Yeah, yeah, that's really the Allstate guy! If he ran for President in real life, I might vote for him. He seems like such a nice guy on those commercials." (By the way, I think Allstate is making a huge misstep with those new "Mayhem is coming" commercials. They are unsettling to me.)
2. Jack and his wife don't exactly look like they go together.
3. The bad guy - can't remember his name - just looks like a bad guy. He's very believable. He creeps me out.
4. I can't decide whether or not I like Nina's hair. Or Nina. She's bad, right?? Wait! Don't tell me.
5. So during the middle of the first episode, we kind of look at each other and Jeremy said something like, "It's riveting." But neither of us were truly riveted. Until the last 10 minutes or so. After the clock beeped to signal the end of the episode, I said, "Well, we've got to find out what happens!"
6. After the second one was over, I looked at the clock. It was 9:45. Jeremy always tries super hard to be in bed by 10:00 (even though both of us would rather not go to bed early) because he has to get up so early for work. I was ever so surprised when he said, "Do you want to start another one?" So we had a discussion about whether or not he was really serious...turns out that he was. And we watched the third one.
7. To sum up the craziness going on with Jack's daughter and friend Janet...I had to laugh (and agree) when Jeremy said, "Those little girls need to stay at home and watch Nickelodeon." I mean, seriously! Wow.
I know all of my 24-loving friends are sooo happy that we finally jumped on the bandwagon. I don't think we're "in love" with it yet, but we both enjoyed it. And will watch more. Probably tonight. ;)
Rethinking Modesty: Another Great Link
6 years ago